At a Glance
Michigan State University expands the horizons of possibility for humanity through the pursuit of knowledge, discovery, engagement, and opportunities to apply knowledge to improve the world.
Michigan State University, a member of the Association of American Universities and one of the top 100 research universities in the world, was founded in 1855. We are an inclusive, academic community known for our traditionally strong academic disciplines and professional programs, and our liberal arts foundation. Our cross- and interdisciplinary enterprises connect the sciences , humanities, and professions in practical, sustainable, and innovative ways to address society’s rapidly changing needs.
As a public, research-intensive, land-grant university funded in part by the state of Michigan, our mission is to advance knowledge and transform lives by:
- providing outstanding undergraduate, graduate, and professional education to promising, qualified students in order to prepare them to contribute fully to society as globally engaged citizen leaders
- conducting research of the highest caliber that seeks to answer questions and create solutions in order to expand human understanding and make a positive difference, both locally and globally
- advancing outreach, engagement, and economic development activities that are innovative, research-driven, and lead to a better quality of life for individuals and communities, at home and around the world
By 2012, Michigan State University will be recognized worldwide as the leading land-grant research university in the United States.
Michigan State has identified five strategic imperatives:
- Enhance the student experience by continually improving the quality of academic programs and the value of an MSU degree for undergraduate and graduate students
- Enrich community, economic, and family life through research, outreach, engagement, entrepreneurship, innovation, and inclusion
- Expand international reach through academic, research, and economic development initiatives and global, national, and local strategic partnerships
- Increase research opportunities by significantly expanding research funding and involvement of graduate and undergraduate students in research and scholarship
- Strengthen stewardship by appreciating and nurturing the university's financial assets, campus environment and infrastructure, and people for outstanding performance today and tomorrow